No. 4: A 44 Button Crane Duet
My latest instrument is another Crane duet, this time a traditional-looking 44 button (+ air) with 6 1/4″ hexagonal ends.
Here is its full specification:
- 44+1 button Crane layout with Butterworth curve and slightly narrowed column spacing.
- Six sides.
- Weight: 1170g.
- Seven fold plain black goatskin bellows.
- Black walnut burr veneer with black Rocklite Ebano border inlay.
- Ebonized beech handrails with integral strap fixings.
- French polished finish.
- 6082-T6 aluminium reed frames with steel reed tongues.
- Standard scale reeds on the left hand, long scale on the right hand.
- Sycamore radial tapered reed pans.
- Sycamore action boards.
- Brass sheet riveted action levers.
- 3/16″ nickel silver capped buttons with acetal cores.
- 2mm button travel (giving 4mm pad lift at 2:1 action lever ratio).
- Black wool bushings.
- Tuning: 1/5 comma meantone with root note A=440Hz.
- Includes some modifications to standard Crane layout, such as the addition of left hand A2, Bb2, and B2 notes, and right hand B3.